Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tree Planting at the Caliraya Watershed: (Mellow Yellow Monday #7, Mommy & me Monday #3, Ruby Tuesday#6)

Just sharing with you the tree planting activity we had with my staff at Haribon Foundation. This is part of the on-going campaign of Haribon Foundation, the Adopt-a-Seedling Campaign in support of the ROAD to 2020 movement.

ROAD to 2020 (Rainforestation Organizations and Advocates) aims to restore 1 million hectares of the Philippine natural forest by planting native tree species.

The Adopt-a-Seedling campaign started sometime in the year 2007. It started simply by encouraging our members to participate and do their share in combating the effects of climate change and global warming. Through tree planting we are bringing back the natural sequesters of carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide are harmful by-products of our day to day activity. The most common of which is the use of vehicles. Though we can't stop this practice, we can at least do our share of adding up as mentioned, natural sequesters of carbon dioxide, the trees. In December 2008, we offered the Adopt-A-Seedling campaign to members and patrons as Christmas gifts. Instead of materials gifts, the commitment to plant a tree and support a cause is a good alternative gift. To our surprise, a good number of members and patrons supported the cause and we were able to raise more than 2,500 seedlings, which can cover more or less a hectare of forest area.
@ the drop off point to the planting site with me are Ashley, my niece Gayle, my son Leon, my other niece Joey & my mom Lydia


actual tree planting with my son Leon and niece Gayle

On January 17, 2009 me and my staff volunteered to plant 750 seedlings at the Caliraya Watershed in Cavinti, Laguna. Together with us are our family members and close friends. After the actual tree planting activity, we had a picnic lunch at the Japanese garden, which was just a few minute ride from the site and spend an hour or so at a nearby resort.
me and my staff @ the Japanese Garden

Haribon's Adopt-a-Seedling Campaign is inviting everyone to support the cause. To know more log on to www.haribon.org.ph or visit us at our office at the 2nd Floor, Santos & Sons Bldg., 973 Aurora Blvd., Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines 1109.

a boat ride from the site to pick up point

enjoying nature with my kid before heading home





2 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a special and fun time!

hahai.ponce said...

hi Krystyn, yes indeed an fun time with kids...educational as well :)